Laws that probably should never have been written, or should have come off the books a long time ago!
- When two trains meet each other at a railroad crossing, each shall come to a full stop, and neither shall proceed until the other has gone.
- A city ordinance states that a person cannot go barefoot without first obtaining a special five-dollar permit.
- It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.
- You can be legally married by publically introducing a person as your husband or wife 3 times.
- It is illegal to drive without windshield wipers. You don’t need a windshield, but you must have the wipers.
- It is illegal for one to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.
- It is illegal to milk another person’s cow.
- A recently passed anticrime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.
- It is unlawful for a person to consume an alcoholic beverage while operating a motor vehicle upon a public roadway, if the person is observed doing so by a peace officer.
- The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home.
- It is illegal to idle or loiter anyplace within the corporate limits of the city for the purpose of flirting or mashing.
- Wire cutters can not be carried in your pocket.
- Collegiate football is banned at Lamar University.
- It is against the law to throw confetti, rubber balls, feather dusters, whips or quirts (riding crop), and explosive firecrackers of any kind.
- It is illegal to dust any public building with a feather duster.
- It’s illegal to possess realistic dildos.
- Churches, hotels, halls of assembly, stores, markets, banking rooms, railroad depots, and saloons are required to provide spittoons “of a kind and number to efficiently contain expectorations into them.”
- Beer may not be purchased after midnight on a Sunday, but it may be purchased on Monday.
- It is illegal to sell Limburger cheese on Sunday.
- It is illegal to drive a motor car down Broadway before noon on Sundays.
- Dogs must be on a leash at ALL times. Fine of 100 dollars.
- It is illegal to take more than three swallows of beer while standing.
- It is illegal to drive within an arm’s length of alcohol – including alcohol in someone else’s blood stream.
- It is illegal for children to have unusual haircuts.
- Obnoxious odors may not be emitted while in an elevator.
- It is now illegal to place a “for sale” sign on a car if it visible from the street.
- It is illegal to do “U Turns”.
- It is illegal for both sexes to flirt or respond to flirtation using the eyes and/or hands.
- It is illegal to urinate on the Alamo.
- No one may ride a horse and buggy through the town square.
- You can ride your horse in the saloon.
- Cattle thieves may be hanged on the spot.
- Owners of horses may not ride them at night without tail lights.